Making Donkey's Ears- 28th April

Making Donkey's Ears.

One of the tasks I took on was to make Donkeys ear headpiece. I wanted them to be large and a bit out of proportion as this would make them more interesting. Our client had said that she wanted one of the ears to be floppy. I began the process by cutting out drawing out the shape I wanted onto some plastazote, which is a type of foam that will allow you to bend and shape it when heated, it will then hold this shape after it cools back down to its original temperature. I then cut out this shape and used it as a template to do the same thing to create a identical other ear. With hot glue I then secured these down onto some white felt, this would create the colour for the inside of the ear. I then flipped them and put them down onto some light grey felt, when I cut this out I left a grey border around the outside, I then rolled these onto each other and created a sort of lip around the ear. Using a pom pom maker I then created a range of different sizes that could be built up inside the ear to look like hairs sprouting out. They were now ready to attach to a hairband, I did this using hot glue and making sure I held them firmly in place until it had tried, this helped to make sure they were fixed properly onto it. Finally, I held down one ear and warmed it gradually in that position, I then waited for it to cool and when I released my grip it kept that floppy look.
This was my first attempt at the ears, which is also made from plastazote, but sadly they were misplaced and I also decided to make them bigger.


This is the two cut out pieces of plastazote ready to be glued down.

This is one of the pom pom makers in action, they work by wrapping wool around each side until they are filled, you then close the machine and cut round all of the edges, with another piece of wool you wrap it in-between both sections of the wool and then tie it tightly this secure all of the pieces together and you an then take it out and trim it down.

This is a close up of the finished ears.

Comments